Monday, June 30, 2008

Change of Plans!

Our original plan was to pursue international adoption but we keep hitting road blocks. The more international programs we research the more problems we face. The three factors affecting us right now are: 1) age (alot of programs require parents to be 30), 2) marriage length (some require 5 years of marriage instead of 3), and 3) health requirements (we are sometimes disqualified becaues of John's diabetes or me being on anti-depressants for my fibromyalgia). So with alot of soul searching and alot of prayer, we have decided to puruse domestic adoption for baby #1. We hope we are lucky enough to be able to adopt a second child and by that point we should be able to fulfill more countries' guidelines for international adoption. A part of me is sad but I know it is all a part of God's plan and He has our child picked out especially for us. We are filling out our preliminary application this week! Yay!

1 comment:

Amy Bennett said...

I did not realize all that about the international adoption process. It is crazy for me to hear of those strict guidelines. Makes me think that everyone should be screened before they procreate. I have a client who is a counselor for international adoption. She told me that process it difficult & expensive even for her. She has 1 daughter from China, and has been working now for 2 years to get her 2nd daughter.

I think that you made a good decision. God definately has his hands in your plans!