Monday, April 26, 2010

Curls, Curls, and more Curls!

If you haven't noticed from recent pictures, Abby now had a head full of curls!  So we have begun to research different hair products for her since obviously her hair is quite different than ours!  After getting different recommendations, I decided to check out curls.biz as the whole line of hair products is designed for multi-ethnic women, girls, and babies!  Here is a link to all of their baby products (which I have placed an order for and will post a review after using them!)

They also have other great resources such as this article on Caring for Your Child's Biracial Curly Hair:


Caring For Your Child's Biracial Curly Hair

Article by: Mahisha Dellinger

Caring for your angel’s biracial curly hair can be a daunting experience, but it doesn’t have to be.  Armed with the proper education, the right technique, and, most importantly, the right products – you can master the art of caring for her curly hair.  

For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated with hair.   Because my hair was easy to manage, I began styling my own hair at an early age.  Using my long locks, I taught myself how to french braid and soon became a hair styling expert (or so I thought).  As I matured, my interest in healthy curly hair peaked.   I learned which hair care ingredients were good for my hair type and which ingredients were not, what products were best for my hair, and what products were not.   I learned how to shampoo, condition, and properly handle my hair.   Most importantly, I learned to love my hair.   With the proper care, your child will love his/her hair too!
Over the years I’ve read, seen, and experienced unbelievable acts of ignorance regarding ethnic hair care.  It is my attempt to provide a few basic tips and tricks so you will avoid common pitfalls
A Few Things You Should Know…
  • Naturally curly hair is extremely fragile.   A gentle touch is required to avoid unnecessary breakage and hair loss.  Therefore, always use a wide tooth comb or pick when combing the hair.  Avoid fine tooth combs as they snag and pull out curly/kinky hair.   Invest in a quality brush; natural boar brushes are the best for the hair. 
  • Curly hair needs moisture, moisture, and more moisture!  Consider this when purchasing hair care products.  Avoid drying products such as hair spray, mousse, holding gels, etc.   Opt for moisturizers, leave in conditioners, and styling lotions. 
  • All products are not created equal.  Just because a product claims to be created for “curly hair” doesn’t guarantee that it will be suitable for ethnic curly hair.   Products created for Nicole Kidman’s curly hair may not work for Angela Bassett’s.  Caucasian hair tends to produce more sebum (oily secretion created by the sebaceous gland) than Black textured hair; therefore, curly hair requires more oil.  Read, no, scrutinize the ingredient list.  Look for natural oils and quality ingredients.  Remember, the ingredients are listed in order of volume. 

No comments: